Friday, April 26, 2013

Poetry


It is the feeling of infinity
 

Like the vast expanse of space and time


Of galaxies stretching far past our imaginations


I feel it running under my skin


Flowing like blood through my body


It pounds on drums in my ears


Boom, boom


It is almost startling


The way this internal dubstep feels


The way this silent music plays inside me


It is a machine, humming and vibrating


But it has no “off” switch


And when my internal Skrillex drops the bass


You’ll know my swag can’t be stopped.



Line 1 contains a metaphor. I compare my glorious swag with the feeling of infinity without using “like” or “as” in my comparison. This is done to emphasize how I feel about my trait and how awesome I feel it is.


Line 2 is a simile. I am comparing my swag to space this time, but I am using the word “like,” which defines it as a simile. Once again, I am simply exaggerating how amazing my swag is.


Lines 4 and 6 are personification. Swag is just a feeling, it cannot run or play the drums, though it would be pretty awesome if it could. The feeling, though, is that of a rhythm pounding inside, a beat begging to be played.


Line 7 is an onomatopoeia. I used the word boom because it sounded like the noise a drum might make when someone hits it really hard. I thought long and hard about using another word, like baboom or kaboom, but boom just felt right for a drum noise. This is mainly done to emphasize the feeling of swag.


Line 10 is an oxymoron. Music is not silent, unless it is on mute, but then you cannot hear it and it is not technically music because it has no sound, just silence. This shows that the feeling is internal and emphasizes the effects of my swag.


Line 11 is imagery. I compare the music to machine and create a picture of my swag in the reader’s mind and emphasize, yet again, the effects of my swag. The machine is moving and making noise, so it is both a visual and an auditory image.


Line 13 is an allusion. Skrillex is a popular dubstep artist that is frequently associated with the term “drop the bass.” "He" is the one creating this feeling inside me I would never want him to live inside my head, though. Too noisy.


For the record, I have no swag and this is all a joke. "Haha, you're so funny Maddy." Thanks, I know.

1 comment:

  1. Finley read half of this with a nice "epic" voice and it was delightful. Swag.

    ReplyDelete